Re: [opensuse-factory] CPU overheating since recent update
On 04/28/2015 02:20 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

And butane is just it, and cheap. Previously freon was optimal, till it
was found how damaging it was to the ozone layer... so it was forbidden.

__________

- just a remark :: Electrolux swedish vacuum cleaners used to have a plug ,
under the air-filter , into which plug one could insert a tube to "blow" {
instead of suck}

Don't worry, I know where I can get a can of compressed air, I will
just need some time. ;)

I found some more information on the issue, while randomly googling.
It turns out that not all archives on my past issue are on a
now-deleted distribution forum, I also asked a question on superuser :
http://superuser.com/q/446610/119172

So apparently I remembered things wrong, the fan sensor has always
been misreporting low speeds as 4090-ish rpm. It also appears that the
problem I had 3 years ago was really close to the one I have today,
except that back then, pwm1_enable was working as expected (and so I
could turn the fan to max speed at start, so that I could investigate
the problem without the computer shutting down).

I should have kept a trace of what I did to fix the issue back then...
All that I remember was that it involved booting with different
acpi_osi settings, maybe tweaking some values in the /sys/class/hwmon
folders, maybe also loading and unloading some modules (there were
several competing drivers for eeepc acpi)...

Ok, no panic, easy things first, first the dust.

Thibaut