Re: [opensuse-factory] CPU overheating since recent update
On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 8:50 AM, Thibaut Verron
<thibaut.verron@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 10:47:58 +0200
Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Does anyone have any clue as to how to investigate (and hopefully fix)
the issue?

Your laptop is probably clogged with dust. You need to take it apart and
clean it. I need to clean almost all my machines every year or two.

- --
Jan Matějka | QA Engineer for Maintenance
SUSE LINUX s.r.o. | https://www.suse.com/
GPG: A33E F5BC A9F6 DAFD 2021 6FB6 3EBF D45B EEB6 CA8B

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

Although I cannot rule this possibility out with 100% certainty, I
find it unlikely that the problem would appear all of a sudden. And it
would not explain the inaccurate fan speed reported by the sensors,
either.

It's quite common that it happens all of a sudden.

Either you notice all of a sudden, or it crosses the threshold from
not-a-problem into overheating-problem all of a sudden.

In a matter of hours (during which the computer was off), it went from
"able to perform heavy-duty computations without becoming abnormally
hot under my hands" to "reaching critical temperature while idle".
Even taking into account my hands' inaccuracy, that still sounds like
a gap.

The inaccuracies are quite common too, I can usually see them even in
the BIOS of pristine machines.

But this sensor used to be accurate. I usually don't pay attention to
it of course, but since I already had fan issues with this computer, I
know that 4000ish rpm is the maximal speed of this fan, and that at
this (reported) speed, I should not need any particular effort to hear
it spin.

Also, when I say that I can't get any manual control on the fan, this
includes *stopping* it... How can dust prevent a fan from stopping
on-demand?

Sadly, I don't have the surgical skills required for taking apart and
back together this kind of laptops.

Just get a compressed air can (make sure it's for electronics,
otherwise it might have incompatible solvents), make sure your laptop
is turned off, and blow some air through the cooler vent. Make sure to
hold the can correctly (read the instructions) to avoid propellent to
go out as well. That should move dust around enough to make things
better. And if it does make things better, then you've got
confirmation that dust is to blame.

I will try it, though, but I don't know when I will have time to drop
by the electronics store, so it may take some time.

Thank you!

T. Verron