Re: [opensuse-factory] IPv6 Privacy Extensions
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 09:46:43 +0200
James Knott wrote:

On 04/23/2015 12:52 PM, Neil Rickert wrote:
For opensuse 13.1, I used NetworkManager so that I could turn on
privacy extensions (provides a somewhat random temporary IPv6
address).

With opensuse 13.2 (using wicked), this has been automatic. I did
not have to do anything. Similarly, with Tumbleweed, this has been
automatic.

But now, since recent updates, it is not working anymore. I am not
getting that temporary address.

(a) What changed?
(b) What magic incantation is needed to get it working again?

I experienced similar with 13.1. It worked with earlier versions, but
not now. Per Jensen provided a fix. I added the following to my
/etc/init.d/afterlocal file:

ifdown eth0
sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.eth0.use_tempaddr=2
ifup eth0

Hehe, hardly a fix - IPv6 privacy extensions have been enabled by
default since around 12.x, see e.g. bug#678066.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (14.8°C)