Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-buildservice] register static UID/GID on openSUSE?
On 04/20/2015 05:55 PM, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

On Monday 2015-04-20 09:12, Tim Serong wrote:

Not in this case. I'm not talking about directly user-accessible files,
I'm talking about ceph OSDs. A ceph OSD is (approximately) a single
disk with an xfs/btrfs filesystem on top. The ceph-osd daemon manages
everything on this filesystem; objects stored by clients in a ceph
cluster map back (somehow, by magic) to files on an OSD, but the client
doesn't see them at this level in the stack. Rather, all files on an
OSD are are created and owned by the user ceph-osd runs as (presently
root, but in future, the unprivileged user "ceph"). In order to be able
to hotswap an OSD from one node to another, the UID for ceph thus needs
to be the same across all nodes in the cluster.

Ah well. In case the disk is wholly owned by ceph,

mount -o uid=xxx,gid=xxx

will be interesting. Some filesystems support it already, and I
remember there were calls to make it an fs-independent VFS feature,
though I do not know the current development status.

That looks like it would be ideal, except AFAICT neither xfs nor btrfs
support the uid/gid mount options, and these are the only two
filesystems practical for use with Ceph :-/

Regards,

Tim
--
Tim Serong