Re: [opensuse-factory] Strange boot failure
  • From: Neil Rickert <nrickert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 16:12:27 -0500
On Sunday, April 19, 2015 06:13:31 PM Richard Weinberger wrote:

Out of the sudden my 13.2 Thinkpad refused to boot.
See:
http://git.infradead.org/~rw/os132_boot_fail.jpg

No getty, no X11, no nothing.
How can this happen?

The kernel did not panic, keyboard worked but systemd refused to continue.
After a hard reset it booted fine again.

I'm guessing that this is a hardware issue, though probably a temporary one.
An internal register somewhere gets into a state that it should be in.

I have had this sort of thing happen, and only a hard reset or a power
off/power on reset will fix it.