Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-buildservice] register static UID/GID on openSUSE?
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 12:05:31 +0200
Jan Engelhardt schrieb:

On Thursday 2015-04-16 10:40, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Tim Serong schrieb:
On 04/14/2015 03:04 PM, Tim Serong wrote:
A long time ago, there was a thread regarding UID/GID registration (see
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-buildservice/2009-05/msg00221.html).
AFAICT the question "how can one register a static UID/GID in the 0-99
range" wasn't answered.

There is no defined process to register uids there and I don't think we
should start doing that again.

Context: the ceph project wants to reserve a UID/GID - being a
distributed storage cluster, it's best if the UID/GIDs remain static
across the whole cluster, and the most straightforward way to do this is
to hardcode a UID/GID in a useradd/groupadd invocation in the rpm %pre
script.

As long as process credentials are not 64/128-bit UIDs similar to NTSIDs,
services ought to cope with different numerical UIDs. NFS made the jump
with idmapd, so I am sure ceph can come up with something too. Perhaps
even reuse idmapd.

I agree. There are still some use cases where same uids are desirable
nevertheless. For example to be able to reuse a file system with
data on it on different installations.

cu
Ludwig

--