[opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-buildservice] register static UID/GID on openSUSE?
On 04/14/2015 03:04 PM, Tim Serong wrote:
Hi All,

A long time ago, there was a thread regarding UID/GID registration (see
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-buildservice/2009-05/msg00221.html).
AFAICT the question "how can one register a static UID/GID in the 0-99
range" wasn't answered.

Does anyone know if there are still any spare UIDs in the range 0-99?
Someone told me there weren't but I thought I'd better raise this here,
just in case there are. And if there are any available, how do I
reserve one?

Context: the ceph project wants to reserve a UID/GID - being a
distributed storage cluster, it's best if the UID/GIDs remain static
across the whole cluster, and the most straightforward way to do this is
to hardcode a UID/GID in a useradd/groupadd invocation in the rpm %pre
script.

(Pardon the cross-post, I picked what I hope are the two most suitable
lists - happy to drop one or the other, or ask elsewhere as appropriate)

I've just been advised that opensuse-factory might be a better list than
opensuse-project for the above question.

Regards,

Tim
--
Tim Serong