Re: [opensuse-factory] fstab, systemd and UUID
Am 08.04.2015 um 12:15 schrieb Jan Engelhardt:

On Wednesday 2015-04-08 10:22, Stefan Seyfried wrote:

/dev/sd* are in the class of the most unstable names you can possibly
/get.

No, actually not.

In "normal" setups (no multipath, fancy storage etc), all disks are /dev/sd*

I have access to a normal setup.

Typical desktop tower box (19"x4RUx~55cm usual size), with extra 3.5"
cages ex factory. Contains 16 disks,

"normal".

connected via the cheap €19
off-the-shelf SATA PCIe cards,

"normal".

no "fancy" orderly backplanes,
everything is more or less loose the way you'd expect it from a home
user. sata_sil and 2x sata_mvw IIRC, and then of course the onboard
ahci.

Depending on the moon phase, the assignment of sdg-sdp regularly
shuffle at boot.

I'd guess this happens after kernel updates or such, not when rebooting
the same kernel without rebuilding initrd.

But anyway, these are the cases where /dev/disk/by-$WHATEVER is made
for. I still would use by-label, but you can use anything and it will
work.

a "normal" setup as I consider it today allows you to only put in one
disk. Everything more is external (USB, ExpressCard or such) and
probably not put into fstab anyway.

A "normal" setup nowadays (IMHO) for "normal" users is a notebook
computer, maybe a nettop or stuff like the intel NUC boxes.

People building home storage arrays with 16 disks, without using LVM or
raid setups, are usually able to configure by-$WHATEVER.

I too still have a single "home server" box with 3x rotating rust plus
1 ssd (used for bcache) plus DVB Cards plus serial multiport cards.

And I actually can make the disks change order by changing BIOS
settings. But I wouldn't dare using this example for advocating default
for standard installations.

And it mounts everything "by-label", except stuff that's on LVM:
seife@server:~> grep -v ^# /etc/fstab
LABEL=root / ext4 acl,user_xattr
1 1
LABEL=boot /boot ext3 acl,user_xattr
1 1
LABEL=log-journal /var/log/journal xfs defaults
1 1
LABEL=home.bcache /home ext4 acl,user_xattr
1 2
LABEL=space1.bcach /space1 xfs logbufs=8,logbsize=262144
1 2
/dev/local/system-swap swap swap defaults
0 0
/dev/4TB.1/4TB.1 /space2 xfs
logbufs=8,logbsize=256k,inode64 1 2
LABEL=2TB_space3 /space3 xfs logbufs=8,logbsize=262144
1 2
LABEL=srv /srv xfs logbufs=8,logbsize=262144
1 2
/space2/capture/vdr /export/vdr fuse.vdrfs allow_other
0 0
/space1/dist/openSUSE-13.2-DVD-Build0019-x86_64.iso
/space1/dist/openSUSE-13.2-x86_64 iso9660 loop,ro 0 0
[...snip /proc,/sys, whatever is not a device...]
seife@server:~> cat /proc/cmdline
root=/dev/disk/by-label/root sysrq=yes printk.time=1 acpi_enforce_resources=lax
Stefan Seyfried

"Your mail is 7 pages of printout. Do you seriously expect people
that do openSUSE in their free time to read that? Little less Castro,
little more JFK..." -- coolo