Re: [opensuse-factory] Lockout during update (was New Tumbleweed snapshot 20150406 ...)
  • From: Neil Rickert <nrickert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 10:08:57 -0500
On Tuesday, April 07, 2015 01:02:27 PM Ludwig Nussel wrote:

I won't quote.

I booted up my Tumbleweed machine.

I use CTRL-ALT-F1 to get to a virtual console. There, I logged in as root.

I used the "script" command, so that I would have a transcript of the update
session. I then did:

zypper dup

While the update was proceeding, I was working on my 13.2 desktop. When I
returned to the computer, I saw only a green screen (the default wall-paper).
Nothing that I tried would wake it up. Trying CTRL-ALT-F1 did not get me back
to the virtual console. It looked as if the keyboard was being ignored.

I was able to "ssh" into the box from my 13.2 desktop. The update seemed to
have completed ("zypper" was not running). The output in the "typescript" file
was incomplete (probably due to buffering). I did a "kill -HUP" on the shell
process. That flushed the output to the "typescript file", and now I could see
that the update was complete. I rebooted (from the ssh session). The system
came up fine.

I'm really not sure what happened, but probably an update or process restart
caused problems.