Re: [opensuse-factory] [Tumbleweed] System hangs on reboot/poweroff from Login Screen
  • From: Neil Rickert <nrickert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 09:11:58 -0500
On Tuesday, April 07, 2015 06:42:20 PM Sumit Bhardwaj wrote:

Since last few update (I suppose when Systemd was updated), Along with
the Plymouth switching to text mode screen issue, I am facing this issue
where if I try to reboot my system from the login screen (GDM), the
screen gets switched off and there is no further activity. I have to
force shutdown it using power button. This also happens post login if I
try to restart or power off within first few minutes of login.

A known problem. See this forum thread:

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/506309-
Reported as bug 925946. See also bug 925944.

This seems to be a Wayland problem. You can switch to "lightdm" instead of
"gdm" (you might need to install it first). Or look at bug 925944 which
suggests a config change so that "gdm" runs under X instead of Wayland.

Another alternative: Logout from your Gnome session. Then login to "Icewm".
While in "Icewm" open a terminal session, become root, and use the "shutdown"
command.
shutdown -r now ## to reboot
shutdown -h now ## to power-off