[opensuse-factory] How many seconds does "time rpm -qa | wc" cost it? (was: Please review and help with tests about etckeeper)
Hi all:

How many seconds does "time rpm -qa | wc" cost it in your OS?

I put etckeeper-1.13 in openSUSE Factory's official repository.
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?project=openSUSE%3AFactory&package=etckeeper

And I added patch of
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/openSUSE:Factory/etckeeper/etckeeper-avoid-packagelist.patch?expand=1
https://github.com/joeyh/etckeeper/pull/17 .

When ZYpp install or remove,
etckeeper makes all package list as rpm -qa twice
for getting changed packages list in ZYpp plugin.
eg) before install: rpm -qa | sort >before_packagelist
after install: rpm -qa | sort >after_packagelist
diff -u before_packagelist after_packagelist >changed_packageslist
But these "rpm -qa" are slowly. (sometimes over 30 sec.)
Over 30 sec., ZYpp plugin gets timeout,
so sometimes etckeeper's autocommits fail.

So I wrote a patch of gh#joeyh/etckeeper#17.
This patch provide a choice of whether or not make "changed packages list"

But etckeeper's author (Mr. Joey Hess) said:
https://github.com/joeyh/etckeeper/pull/17#issuecomment-55059127
then that seems very poor,
since etckeeper could take a while to run for any number of reasons,
including the system being busy.

So we execute "time rpm -qa | wc" in various environment.
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-ja/2014-09/msg00012.html
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-ja/2014-09/msg00015.html
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-ja/2014-09/msg00014.html
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-ja/2014-09/msg00016.html
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-ja/2014-09/msg00017.html
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-ja/2014-09/msg00020.html

Most OSes can work within 2 sec.
But some OSes cost over 15 sec.

a) bear-metal
OS: openSUSE13.1
CPU: Core i7-4930K
RAM: 64GB
HDD or SSD: ?
time rpm -qa | wc
5333 5333 211441

real 0m16.909s
user 0m1.188s
sys 0m0.276s

b) I am using VirtualBox 4.3.12 r93733:
Host:
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144)
Language: Japanese (Regional Setting: Japanese)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: XPS 8300
BIOS: BIOS Date: 03/28/12 09:12:57 Ver: 04.06.04
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
HDD: SATA 2 T Byte (NTFS)
(detail https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86335040/DxDiag20140911.txt )
Guest:
OS: openSUSE13.1 64 bit
RAM: 1 G byte
HDD: 60 G bygte (.vdi)
Format: LVM+ext4
time rpm -qa | wc
1917 1917 65019

real 1m52.677s
user 0m1.641s
sys 0m0.302s

I can understand that "rpm -qa"s are slow on VM.
But I can not understand that "rpm -qa" is slow on some bare-metal machines.

I want to explain to Joey that "rpm -qa" are slow in some environments
even if we use them commonly.

Please tell me how many seconds does "time rpm -qa | wc" cost it in your OS and
telle me your envrionments.

(eg.)
a) bear-metal
OS:
CPU:
RAM:
HDD or SSD: (size)
Filesystem:
time rpm -qa | wc
5333 5333 211441

real 0m16.909s
user 0m1.188s
sys 0m0.276s

b) VM
Host:
OS:
CPU:
RAM:
HDD or SSD: (size)
Filesystem:

Virtualization-Software: (name and version)
Guest:
OS:
RAM:
Disk: (size