Re: [opensuse-factory] The future of Tumbleweed
  • From: Alberto Planas Dominguez <aplanas@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 10:45:46 +0200
On Wednesday, July 16, 2014 05:29:34 PM Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxx> [07-16-14 17:01]:

I plan on switching to Factory when it is deemed *ready*. I don't
really
understand the present Factory model :^(.

Uhm I am using Factory since a while now and I believe that is ready.
The current model is quite simple, I think.

In the previous model Factory was the place where the integration part
happens. When the release manager added a new package into
factory, this were deployed as soon as it compiles properly in Factory
itself. There were no check that the package works well in any
deployed machine.

-> PR to Devel -> PR to Factory -> Directly to the user

The current model, that is working since end of February? is more
robust. There are three mode steps involved.

1) If the package related with the PR to Factory is 'an important one' (is
in a list that is named 'ring'), this will put in a new project (staging
project). This package needs to compile with the rest of packages that
are there in the s.p. and also with Factory itself

2) When complies, a new ISO is generated and feed into openQA. This
is and small version of Factory but with new news packages that are
allocated in the s.p. If openQA says that is ok, all the packages can go
to the real Factory. We call this pre-integration tests

3) Te current Factory, together with all the new integrated packages go
again into openQA, in a FactoryToTest ISO image. openQA runs all the
tests in these ISOs, And if (and only if) openQA says that this FTT is
green, the user will receive the packages.

So the new model is like:

-> PR to Devel -> PR to Factory -> [Staging Project] -> [Pre-Integration
Tests] -> Integration into Factory -> [Post-Integration Tests] -> Directly
to the user

Of course there are mode details, but basically this was it.

Thanks,
Alberto Planas

--
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix
Imendörffer, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)