[opensuse-factory] Re: When was it decided to stop supporting remote desktops?
Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2014-03-18 20:17, Claudio Freire wrote:
On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 9:44 AM, Carlos E. R. <> wrote:

Your post did not arrive on the list. Are you sure you are subscribed?

Tried between nVidia-nouveau desktop and headless server (glxgears at
headless server) and it works, if you can call it working.

Ah! That's interesting.
====
That's the closest so far to a reasonable test.

What I'd like to know is if how well it talks to to X-servers
on other platforms or if the X-platform was just split into
incompatible dialects?

It seems to be doing the rasterization in software on the X server, in
spite of having more than enough acceleration capabilities, resulting in
8fps or less (couldn't accurately measure).

Well, that's expected for Nouveau, accel is not complete.
---
Is none of enabled? Remote OpenGLX, by definition, did the rendering
on the client -- not on the server and sent down as a bitmapped image.

I used to get 30FPS running remotely with OpenGL on a 1Gb ethernet on
GLXGears (at it's default smallish window size).

If it is doing SWrast on the server and sending X frames --
then my initial assertion stands -- OpenGL **wasn't** rasterized and
sent to the client for display -- it sent the more compact
instructions to do transforms on the existing image. I.e. it was
more like SVG vs. PNG. With SVG a <100K pic can easily blow up to
several to scores of megabytes. The ratios get worse if SVGz is used.

I'm convinced that a swrast may be doing a bitmapped ship of the image,
I can easily believe that. But That's not OpenGL.

Nvidia's driver may be closed source, but the OpenGL standard
it follows is not. It has well published interfaces (wikipedia
has a good article on it showing the different revs.)