[opensuse-factory] When was it decided to stop supporting remote desktops?
It seems that's what has happened.

When the dri drivers went into the X server, the removed the Xgl
(or was it Xglx) extension that allowed OpenGL to be encapsulated
in X.

This meant you could have a server with lots of resources to do
computations that would use a remote computer with a high end
graphics card on any platform that supported X (BSD, MacOS,
Windows (xp to win7) as well as desktop linux clients that
don't have the same resources as a server. FWIW, the server
wasn't built with available power supplies to even begin to support
high end graphics cards these days.

It seems also that this is the reason why XDMCP no longer works --
it was another remote desktop facility that would have needed
the Xgl to transport most of today's desktop managers that use
graphics acceleration to enable faster desktop respond with fancier
effects.

OpenGL *used* to work remotely on openSuse. Not anymore -- it seems
that no form of remote testing or forwarding a remote desktop
has been done for the past few cycles.

I am biased in that I wanted to be able to use such occasionally --
maybe more so with an upgraded network.

Was it actually planned, or did RedHat just kill it and other vendors
followed suit because they went with the dri solution? The wayland
support also doesn't seem to have an X-compat solution for 3D either.

I'm not sure how possible or easy it would be, but it might be possible
to get a degraded performance with a virtualGL solution that was
designed to send the rendering commands to a 3rd computer that just
did rendering and display the result to the client using the equivalent
of jpeg/mpeg compression over slower networks, but possibly uncompressed
over faster networks coming down the line.

If the user has a 1Gb ethernet -- not unreasonable, they would have a max of about a max theoretical around 0.12GB which is about 7 frames/second if
you try to send full screens, it would be hard to compress and uncompress
that in SW to make it faster. But if you are just sending the rendering
commands, it's like the difference between SVG and bitmapped graphics.
The latter is 100's to 1000's times larger. Some of the largest SVG's
I've seen have still been under 1MB, vs. bitmapped tiff's ... I've seen
a few too many 4+GB that take a long time to read or write even over
1Gb.

I'm guessing this wasn't intentional (??I hope), but that not many people
realized what was happening until some time after the fact??

Is breaking remote compatibility with the past 15+ years a good thing?