Re: [opensuse-factory] Adding SSDs?
  • From: Jason <relentropy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 19:00:47 -0400
On Thursday, March 13, 2014 11:29:52 C wrote:
On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 11:25 PM, Jason <relentropy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As for TLC, I'm not _yet_ convinced. The finesse required to deal with so
many gates (voltages) and the inherent latency is something I find hard
to believe it will _just work_ for say at least 5 years.

There is a reason SLC is server grade and MLC is widely adopted for
consumer drives, TLC is (currently) simply a method to drive the price
down. Just IMHO.
That's why I opted for the Samsung 840 Pro over Evo. The Pro has MLC,
and the Evo is TLC... or at least that's what I used to justify the
slightly higher price (wasn't much more).

Errr... this discussion has drifted quite far from Factory related
stuff. I'll stop here now. If we want to keep chattering about SSDs,
we should prob take to to the main list... also it would be nice if
there was some summary or update to the openSUSE info on SSDs to
reflect the current situation... maybe that can be distilled from
everyone's contributions here?

True, interesting topic:) And lots of good info!
AFAIK Greg mentioned he will be updating wiki pages,
in case he's constrained I might do it as well. Is there any special
authorization required for editing? Haven't done any edits there yet.

C.