Re: [opensuse-factory] Adding SSDs?
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 10:06:08 +0100
On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 9:26 PM, Jason <relentropy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As for the discard, few people have told me in the past few days not to use it
and considering they know what they're talking about I'm not questioning it so
I have personally removed it.

The only reason I can think of that someone would suggest not using
discard is that it can impact the speed of deleting content off the
drive. https://patrick-nagel.net/blog/archives/337 Basically, it
depends on your use case for the data you're working with if discard
is something you don't want to use. For me, using "discard" has a
negligible impact - I don't see the difference in my day-to-day use,
and it's an easy solution vs setting up the cron job.

Using discard... you need kernel 2.6.33 or higher and an SSD that
supports trim (ie any modern drive should do this).

Using fstrim on a cron job.. is just as effective.

Sensible flags for btrfs on ssd are noatime,autodefrag,compress=lzo and that
is
coming from a person who works on btrfs.

There is disagreement about noatime... many suggest it's a lot better
to use relatime. If you use noatime, you can negatively impact some
applications that depend on the into - mutt is a prime example.

Yes. But SSDs haven't really changed that much, the basics are still the same
and reliability went up and down and up again, depending on the time.

Ah, but they have. The firmware is vastly different and the the types
and quantity of nand chips in use have also changed (eg older MMC nand
vs newer TLC nand)

C.
--
openSUSE 13.1 x86_64, KDE 4.12