Re: [opensuse-factory] Adding SSDs?
  • From: Jason <relentropy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 16:26:55 -0400
On Thursday, March 13, 2014 07:49:35 C wrote:
On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 4:37 PM, Jason wrote:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drives
https://wiki.debian.org/SSDOptimization

Has ssd quality improved that much?

[snip]

Also, Samsung seems to be good these days, they probably learned their
lesson first time around. Toshiba is also good. Most of the SSDs use
Toshiba's memory so one shouldn't go wrong with it.

I'm using Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb SSDs, and they are really holding up
nicely (great MTBF rating, high IOPS, high read/write rating). Very
fast, and reliable. So far not a single failure or error report (in a
laptop and two desktops) with normal/heavy use, but nothing
approaching datacantre use. The two desktops are on 24x7, have swap
on the SSD (although the swap is never written to because the desktops
have 8 and 16Gb RAM and never need swap). The only "tweaks" to the SSD
config is to add "discard" to the fstab lines.

Thanks for letting me know, next time around I will include it.
At the time I bought Intel drives Samsung was in the middle of 'bad press' as
trim wasn't supported and there was no way to update the firmware.

As for the discard, few people have told me in the past few days not to use it
and considering they know what they're talking about I'm not questioning it so
I have personally removed it.

Sensible flags for btrfs on ssd are noatime,autodefrag,compress=lzo and that is
coming from a person who works on btrfs.

At all costs avoid OEM solutions, you want to have clear fw update path
and
proper support.

This is REALLY important in my experience. The OEM and
no-name-brand/low cost budget SSDs that you can get aren't worth it.
I've had those fail really fast... controllers stopped working,
corrupted data etc.

As I said, pick out a balanced approach, most of the writeups are
overkill.

And out of date, reflecting the facts as the were in 2008/2009.

Yes. But SSDs haven't really changed that much, the basics are still the same
and reliability went up and down and up again, depending on the time.

I have to add here my 'rule of thumb' re: fw updates. I found that is best to
update at least a month _after_ latest release and to follow up on update
every time without skipping.

btw, this were the articles that 'sold' me on ssd:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2738
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2829

Old, but still valid.

What I can tell you though is that I'm not treating them any different
than a regular drive and I abuse the fact they're fast:) What I provided
is all anecdotal evidence though.

Same here. The SSD is treated as a normal drive in all systems I work
with. I don't play conservative with read/writes... I install Linux
distros regularly on the laptop (mainly testing, experimenting with oS
Factory builds etc).

Anecdotal evidence is the best kind... right? :-)

:)

C.