Re: [opensuse-factory] Adding SSDs?
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 07:49:35 +0100
On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 4:37 PM, Jason wrote:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drives
https://wiki.debian.org/SSDOptimization

Has ssd quality improved that much?

[snip]

Also, Samsung seems to be good these days, they probably learned their lesson
first time around. Toshiba is also good. Most of the SSDs use Toshiba's memory
so one shouldn't go wrong with it.

I'm using Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb SSDs, and they are really holding up
nicely (great MTBF rating, high IOPS, high read/write rating). Very
fast, and reliable. So far not a single failure or error report (in a
laptop and two desktops) with normal/heavy use, but nothing
approaching datacantre use. The two desktops are on 24x7, have swap
on the SSD (although the swap is never written to because the desktops
have 8 and 16Gb RAM and never need swap). The only "tweaks" to the SSD
config is to add "discard" to the fstab lines.

At all costs avoid OEM solutions, you want to have clear fw update path and
proper support.

This is REALLY important in my experience. The OEM and
no-name-brand/low cost budget SSDs that you can get aren't worth it.
I've had those fail really fast... controllers stopped working,
corrupted data etc.

As I said, pick out a balanced approach, most of the writeups are overkill.

And out of date, reflecting the facts as the were in 2008/2009.

What I can tell you though is that I'm not treating them any different than a
regular drive and I abuse the fact they're fast:) What I provided is all
anecdotal evidence though.

Same here. The SSD is treated as a normal drive in all systems I work
with. I don't play conservative with read/writes... I install Linux
distros regularly on the laptop (mainly testing, experimenting with oS
Factory builds etc).

Anecdotal evidence is the best kind... right? :-)

C.
--
openSUSE 13.1 x86_64, KDE 4.12