Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Re: Adding SSDs?
  • From: Jason <relentropy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 20:36:26 +0800
On Tuesday, March 11, 2014 12:09:55 Aneurin Price wrote:
On 11 March 2014 11:20, Jason <relentropy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Divide the sum of kernel and initrd by the reduced transferrate.

Now you have the pure time it takes to load the kernel and the initrd
into memory.

If you take a older Laptop HDD (27 MB/s) and a newer SSD (150MB/s)
the difference looks big, but the size of the kernel+initrd
is not that big that the difference will make more than one (1)
second of boot time.

This is simply not true.

What are you basing that assertion on? I don't have immediate access
to an OS machine to confirm, but on the Debian machine I've just
checked, the entire contents of /boot comes to 25MB. Even assuming
that all of it needs to be read, that will take less than a second, so
there simply isn't a second to save. It therefore *must* be true.

Yes, but /boot is in this case on the SSD.