Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: openSUSE Tumbleweed package management problem
On 03/09/2014 01:26 PM, Greg KH pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
On Sun, Mar 09, 2014 at 11:11:04AM +0100, Achim Gratz wrote:
Greg KH writes:
That's because all of the Tumbleweed repo just rebuild due to KDE
updates, as well as other core updates (kmod and util-linux).

The kernel should either a) never rebuild

It rebuilds when a new kernel update happens, or a dependency of the
kernel packages are updated. What is wrong with that?

or b) the version number needs to change with each rebuild

It does.

or c) all tools making use of the version number need to recognize
that a rebuild of the kernel actually overwrites any earlier builds of
the same version kernel so the old build is no longer available or

I don't understand what you mean by this.

d) the kernel installation needs to include the build number so that
multiple builds of the same versions can coexist on disk.

It should do that today.

So this is to be expected, and just part of the deal with Tumbleweed.

I'm not going into that discussion again as it should really be about
osc and not Tumbleweed, but the current handling of kernel rebuilds when
multiversion kernels are enabled is buggy. Depending on which option
above you're most comfortable with, that bug may be in Tumbleweed or
some place else, I've asked that question before and got no answer
(which is why no bugreport has yet been filed).

I don't understand the problem here, everything works fine on my
machines...

greg k-h

The problem is the unnecessary build that takes place which then requires unnecessary download and install. If there is no change in package it does not require a rebuild. Just because one KDE package changes does not mean 100% of the KDE packages need rebuild. And, why the hell does a KDE update require a rebuild of the kernel? Are the kernel devs now employing code from the KDE devs?

That's all we're saying. :-)