Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Release lifetime
  • From: Hans Witvliet <suse@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 14:40:41 +0100
On Fri, 2014-03-07 at 15:48 +0800, Jason wrote:

Something like a weeping gecko, while booting?

But seriously, i've got a related question from an end-users group.
(real end users, who are never/seldom installing anything, ans that we
are ging to provide with a sudio-stick)

In case of an EOL-package, it might be nice if it could change the
repo-url towards "Evergreen"....

Hans

Hmm, I was aiming at something more definitive and descriptive enough for
users
to make the choice themselves.

For the option you stated you (plural) might as well have package set the EOL
wallpaper with the instructions ie stating system OS reached end of life and
'please visit <opensuse.org page> with instructions on how to change to EG
repos OR repo change to next release.

Hi Jason,

No, won't work.
With some people within the OS-comunity we respond to a request to
provide an stable alternative for people currently using XP, with no
knowledge/experience to perform those elementary functions that you and
i perform on a daily bases.

Hence we are making a distro on a stick, and one of the questions was
about the updates after 13.1 becomes eol.

For all those who do updates automatically, it would be a nice feature
if they could switch to evergreen without any enduser interaction.
Probably a rediculous feature for 90% of seasoned linux users,
but for former XP-addicts a life saver.

(and for those familiar with the update-machanisms probably 10 minutes
work to create such a switch-to-evergreen-update-package)

hw