Re: [opensuse-factory] Release lifetime

On 2014-03-07 07:38, Marcus Meissner wrote:
On 2014-03-07 01:15, Marcus Meissner wrote:
On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 09:48:55PM +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:

We could just enhance the above message that was printed
already?

There is a message now when people try to update 12.2?

I don't know if I have a 12.2 system to try it out.

That one: Warning: Repository 'openSUSE-12.2-Update' appears to be
outdated. Consider using a different mirror or server.

Could perhaps read: Warning: Repository 'openSUSE-12.2-Update'
appears to be outdated. Check if this distribution or repository is
still maintained, and if yes, consider using a different mirror or
server.

;)

Ah, I see.

Yes, that would be better than the current one. And possibly very easy
to implement

Let me add to it something.

First, add a line to the "/etc/os-release" file containing the
estimated end of maintenance period for the release (which can then be
updated to the actual date when known). The format of that file allows
for customized extensions, so that should not break anything.

Then zypper, yast, etc, when doing the check above, not only check for
the repo been not refreshed in long time, but also compares the system
date with the date read from os-release file, and if the date is past,
give the appropriate warning message, when refreshing the repos.

The administrator can override the warning by just removing the line
in os-release, or changing it.

This would not be intrusive or obnoxious for plain users of the
systems, just the ones doing the administration - unless apper also
does that kind of check.

If the administrator then adds the Evergreen update repo (if it
exists), simply by creating an update to the file the date would be
pushed back and the message silenced.

Once the line in os-release exists, someone can also add a new package
that creates a cron job that gives a "wall", changes the wallpaper,
whatever. We could call the package "obnoxious-end-of-life-warning" ;-)

That would cover most of the suggestions on this thread ;-)

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)