Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Release lifetime
On 2014-03-07 04:36, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Friday 2014-03-07 03:03, Carlos E. R. wrote:

IMHO, altering boot can be more dangerous, something could go wrong
and the machine not boot.

The initrd is regularly regenerated when lvm2, udev, and the like are
updated. If a /lib/mkinitrd/scripts/boot-eolwarn.sh is added (which can
just stop the splashscreen temporarily and print the EOL message, like
the cryptsetup prompt would), that can't be too detrimental.

In my machine, when I use grub 2, the update to lvm2 crashed when
os-prober tried to mount all my extended partitions. I had to kill it,
and the entries to boot other systems disappeared from the boot menu.

If you read on the forums, now and then you see people for which, just
after a system update, the system stopped booting at all, requiring
manual action, grub reinstall, whatever. Damage is often compounded by
the user not knowing what to do and doing the wrong things.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >