Re: [opensuse-factory] Release lifetime
On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 09:48:55PM +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Hi,

I just noticed today of another user not knowing that 12.2 was not
maintained anymore. In fact, he asked why he was getting an error:

Warning: Repository 'openSUSE-12.2-Update' appears to be outdated.
Consider using a different mirror or server.

Could we somehow have something (YaST?) warning the user when the system
he is using is close to the end of its supported lifetime, or past it?

There could be a package or file, part of aaa_base or openSUSE-release
perhaps, or a dependency, updated just at the lifetime end, that changes a
file telling YaST to warn the user. Then, if the system is switched over
to evergreen, that file gets updated, and there are no more warning, till
evergreen stops maintenance as well. The admin could override that file
easily, if he wishes.

Would this be feasible? :-)

It could be a line in /etc/os-release, containing the end date. The format
admits customized extensions. Then a check when yast starts, or some
modules of it.

We could just enhance the above message that was printed already?

Ciao, Marcus