Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-project] Maintainers wanted for Dracut and Plymouth
* Frederic Crozat <fcrozat@xxxxxxxx> [2014-02-04 10:52]:
Le mardi 04 février 2014 à 10:41 +0100, Ludwig Nussel a écrit :
Frederic Crozat wrote:
Le mardi 04 février 2014 à 06:14 +0100, Raymond Wooninck a écrit :
On Sunday 02 February 2014 12:24:29 sfalken@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I could take one of them over, Raymond. Don't have any particular
knowledge about either package, but I've got the time.
Hi Shawn,

Great. Thanks a lot. As discussed on IRC, I will transfer today the
"ownership" of DRACUT to you on OBS and bugzilla.

Only package remaining is Plymouth and I guess that people rather see it
disappear than to help out.

No, I don't want to see it disappear at all (since it has replaced all
other boot splash alternative, for the good) but I don't have time to
maintain it.

How long does the average system nowadays take until X starts up? If
there is a black screen for a few seconds, so what? That's the time the
initrd takes to load if plymouth is in there anyways ;-)

Plymouth also allows smooth transition (no flicker) between splash and
display manager. And it can display a non frightening UI to request
passphrase for encrypted disk.

Since 13.1 there is none, you get a plain text prompt. Also if
you use suspen/hibernate (as I do) you also never get to see a
splash screen either. Since this is the status quo, plymouth is
probably not as important as some may think...
--
Guido Berhoerster