Re: [opensuse-factory] Releases going forward
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 20:34:28 +0100
Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

On 2014-01-30T12:54:19, Robert Schweikert <rjschwei@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

- Given the current situation can we meet a May release date?
- Do we skip the May release and move to a yearly cycle and release
13.2 in November of 2014?

During last year's discussions there were a number of people favoring
a yearly release cycle. We have to make a decision,

- stick to 8 month or move to 12 month?

I expect this is going to be an unpopular vote - but I'm willing to be
pleasantly surprised. ;-)

If I had to choose, I'd say "neither".

Take this chance to adjust to a continuous delivery release stream,
instead of traditional "major releases".

No thank you. It simply doesn't work for anyone using openSUSE
professionally or trying to support it.

Release what is ready, as soon as it is ready. (Meaning: passes
acceptance criteria.)

Main challenges - a) define "acceptance criteria", and b) run the checks
on those all the time.

Early on, there are bound to be blunders (a.k.a. "shouldn't have
released that"). But the pay-off to users would be to get a stable
distribution that is leading edge - best of both worlds.

Plain users don't want leading edge. They want stability that enables
them to get their jobs done.
Admins don't want to run the upgrade treadmill all the time either.

For those who want bleeding edge, surely there are better suited distros
out there?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (1.2°C)