Re: [opensuse-factory] Timeline and roadmap V2
Quoting Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>:

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 10:27 AM, Carlos E. R. <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2014-01-31 16:11, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
El 30/01/14 21:20, Carlos E. R. escribió:

I don't understand what I'm reading. It seems that SUSE wants to
kill openSUSE, by abandoning it...

That does not make any sense.. SUSE revenue and future depends on
openSUSE.

I know that, but the thread is so confusing that we don't know if they
are really aware of that. It makes us (users hat on) afraid.

Carlos,

I know there were a large number of emails in the last few months
about this, but as I see it:

The opensuse build service has been so successful that factory has
ballooned in size in the last 5 years. That is true both in the
quantity of packaging contributors and in the sheer number of packages
in factory (see earlier emails for details).

That is great from a distro perspective, but from a release manager
perspective it had become overwhelming. The tools required to manage
factory and the overall release were simply not scaling to the new
levels of demand.

The openSUSE team @ suse therefore has decided to take a 8-month
period to push away from day-to-day issues and instead focus on the
improvements needed in OBS and openQA to handle the requirements
caused by the success of OBS.

This is, indeed, an excellent abstract of the current situation.