Re: [opensuse-factory] Timeline and roadmap V2
On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 10:27 AM, Carlos E. R. <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2014-01-31 16:11, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
El 30/01/14 21:20, Carlos E. R. escribió:

I don't understand what I'm reading. It seems that SUSE wants to
kill openSUSE, by abandoning it...

That does not make any sense.. SUSE revenue and future depends on
openSUSE.

I know that, but the thread is so confusing that we don't know if they
are really aware of that. It makes us (users hat on) afraid.

Carlos,

I know there were a large number of emails in the last few months
about this, but as I see it:

The opensuse build service has been so successful that factory has
ballooned in size in the last 5 years. That is true both in the
quantity of packaging contributors and in the sheer number of packages
in factory (see earlier emails for details).

That is great from a distro perspective, but from a release manager
perspective it had become overwhelming. The tools required to manage
factory and the overall release were simply not scaling to the new
levels of demand.

The openSUSE team @ suse therefore has decided to take a 8-month
period to push away from day-to-day issues and instead focus on the
improvements needed in OBS and openQA to handle the requirements
caused by the success of OBS.

I consider it great news the OBS has been so popular that it has
forced the opensuse team @ suse to retrench and focus on the core
infrastructure tools.

More specifically, as a packaging contributor, my main reason for
supporting opensuse is the way OBS works and the way it allows for a
do-apoly as far as which packages make it into the distro. ie. I want
digital forensics tools in the distro, so I initiated an effort 2
years ago to make that happen. openSUSE now has a significant number
of digital forenisic tools based on that effort. I love that do-apoly
effect. OTOH, it means thousands of SRs to factory happen every
month, if not every week. The factory/release team can simply no
longer handle the volume of work with the existing infrastructure.
OBS is already one of the best solutions in existence, so it is not
just a matter of pulling in a new solution to handle the load.
Instead OBS / openQA have to improved so they can do the work.

Greg