Re: [opensuse-factory] Releases going forward
On 01/31/2014 08:28 AM, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
I will try to clarify the situation with three remarks:

1) There are many teams and individuals in SUSE contributing to the
openSUSE project beside the openSUSE Team itself. Let me put it this way
(even if it's not 100% precise): the openSUSE Team is called this way
because it works "full-time" for openSUSE, while many other teams in the
company works "part-time" for the project and part-time for other stuff.
SUSE's involvement in openSUSE goes far beyond the openSUSE Team.

2) The size and power of the openSUSE Team will not decrease. Same
amount of resources contributing full-time to the project. But it has
been decided that those resources will be more useful for the project if
they concentrate the following months in improving the development
process and the tools. Long term goals that can only be achieved by a
dedicated team.

3) As a consequence of (2), the openSUSE Team will not be able to take
care of the release process to release a new openSUSE version in July
'14 (short term).

I hope I have helped to clarify the picture, which is FAR from
Attachmate abandoning openSUSE.

Well, this sounds quite legitimate.
It's just the sudden uncertainty which seems to surprise us all.

I don't believe that all of openSUSE@SUSE stop working on the
release process *right now* (a), eh?
I mean, some folks have to take over piece per piece which will
take some time (b).
Can someone confirm strategy (b), please?

Thanks & have a nice day,
Berny