Re: [opensuse-factory] Releases going forward
  • From: Ancor Gonzalez Sosa <ancor@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 08:28:42 +0100
On 01/31/2014 07:36 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 31/01/14 16:01, Vincent Untz wrote:
There is no decrease in SUSE's involvement in openSUSE! As mentioned in
Robert's mail, it's simply that the openSUSE team at SUSE is choosing to
focus on other openSUSE topics that release engineering, in order to
improve the quality of openSUSE. That includes openQA, workflow in OBS,
etc.

Vincent

Vincent, you sound like our recently elected head of government which
is putting about statements stating that the government will be
cutting expenditures NOT to disadvantage the citizens but to improve
their lives.

Only the feeble minded believe him.

If what you say is true - or what our fearless leader wants us to
believe is true - then please have people who are articulate in
explaining what s/he/they really mean.

From what has been written, Attachmate is abandoning openSUSE just
like Canonical abandoned Kubuntu. As simple as that.

I will try to clarify the situation with three remarks:

1) There are many teams and individuals in SUSE contributing to the
openSUSE project beside the openSUSE Team itself. Let me put it this way
(even if it's not 100% precise): the openSUSE Team is called this way
because it works "full-time" for openSUSE, while many other teams in the
company works "part-time" for the project and part-time for other stuff.
SUSE's involvement in openSUSE goes far beyond the openSUSE Team.

2) The size and power of the openSUSE Team will not decrease. Same
amount of resources contributing full-time to the project. But it has
been decided that those resources will be more useful for the project if
they concentrate the following months in improving the development
process and the tools. Long term goals that can only be achieved by a
dedicated team.

3) As a consequence of (2), the openSUSE Team will not be able to take
care of the release process to release a new openSUSE version in July
'14 (short term).

I hope I have helped to clarify the picture, which is FAR from
Attachmate abandoning openSUSE.

Best.

--
Ancor González Sosa