[opensuse-factory] Re: Re: Releases going forward
On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 00:03, Carlos E. R. <carlos.e.r@...> wrote:
On 2014-01-30 23:17, Yamaban wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 22:29, Carlos E. R. <carlos.e.r@...> wrote:

Just these things:
Done.

Oh, I agree that I would like it, but I don't know if it is feasible.

Perhaps those isos could be posted as an alternative offer, while the
original ones would still be available. Those would be the official ones.

Best positive side-effect: smaller update-repo means faster 'zypper
patch' due to smaller repo-data to transfer and resolv.

No, only for those installing fresh at that time. The update repos
would have to remain complete, for people that installed at the start
of the release period, so that we would not have to change our systems
mid-term.

Ie, all repos unchanged. Only alternative isos offered on alternative
link.

Eh? that would create a whole new problem: additional repos.

E.g. if this repo:
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/13.1/repo/oss/
keeps it original GM content you would need a additional
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/13.1-SP1/repo/oss/

Here I call bullshit.

No a rebase means a full rebase.

cpoying the rpms from the update repo
http://download.opensuse.org/update/13.1/
into the 'main' repo
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/13.1/repo/oss/

then adding in other 'updates / upgrades' from
*:updates-apps, and similar,

now recreating the indexes, 'ARCHIVES.gz', repo-data,
and finaly the isos.

Propagate to the mirrors

After a min. 2days, better a week, the contens of the
update repo can be purged as far they are integrated
into the main repo

No need to change anything in your local zypper config.

The first 'zypper refresh' calls in the new repo-data to the main-repo
and the now much smaller repo-data for the update-repo.

Thus the consiteny is secured over this service-release.

Just fresh isos are not all, think about net-installs,
they use the main-repo during install heavyly.

Please do not shoot your own foot.

- Yamaban.