Re: [opensuse-factory] Releases going forward
On 01/30/2014 08:34 PM, Daniele wrote:
In data giovedì 30 gennaio 2014 12:54:19, Robert Schweikert ha scritto:
Hi,

Releases going forward, or, how do we release without full time paid
worker bees?

With all the discussion toward the end of last year I suppose that
today's e-mail "Timeline and roadmap V2" [1] finally shed light on the
inevitable conclusion, the openSUSE team (@SUSE) will spend more time
on other stuff and less time, if any, on turning the release crank.

This is the team's prerogative just like everyone is free to work on
the project, or not, in areas of interest to them. We can argue
whether the way this is coming about is giving the project the best
chance to succeed or whether the transition is being put worth in a
nice and friendly way, but I think we should not go down that path.

Thanks! to the openSUSE Team for the hard work they have put forth in
the past to turning the release crank, it is much appreciated.

I think the time has come to move forward and deal with the new
situation.

As of right now we still have a release cycle of 8 month. That would
put us into May for openSUSE 13.2.

This brings about two questions:

- Given the current situation can we meet a May release date?
- Do we skip the May release and move to a yearly cycle and release
13.2 in November of 2014?

During last year's discussions there were a number of people favoring
a yearly release cycle. We have to make a decision,

- stick to 8 month or move to 12 month?
I like the idea of 12 month release cycle but with al least one respin
after 6 month.
For me respin means:
* release all media with all ufficial updates/bugfix.
* minor changes should be allowed.
* not so minor changes could be allowed for leaf packages

Doing this, installation bugs can be fixed and you don't have to install
dozens of updates after/during installation from network, you keep more
interest in the distro.

Bye.
This is an excellent idea IMHO, plus we can give more attention to Tumbleweed between releases.

Best,
Angelos

--
Angelos Tzotsos