Re: [opensuse-factory] Releases going forward
On 2014-01-30 12:54 (GMT-0500) Robert Schweikert composed:

Releases going forward, or, how do we release without full time paid
worker bees?

If there was announcement about end of paid workers, I missed it. What's the scoop? URL?

During last year's discussions there were a number of people favoring a
yearly release cycle. We have to make a decision,

- stick to 8 month or move to 12 month?

Annual is often enough for me. IMO, BS repositories, including Tumbleweed, do well enough to make newer app versions available for those who need them.

I offer to take on part of the role of "Release Manager". I will not be
able to do all of it and I have a new definition for the role (see
below.) Stephan did way more and was always the tireless worker that
brought everything together. No one that does not work on openSUSE full
time can obviously fulfill that role, thus we have to split things up. I
figure there are about 60 to 70 hours worth of work per week that we
have to distribute.

I'll define "Release Manager" as:

The person or group that runs after people, keeps an eye on the schedule
and tries to herd the cats to get the stuff fixed that is broken.

Maybe long term if not sooner, acquisition of a person somehow paid to fulfill Stephan's role aka "release manager" would be the better plan. Fedora seems to have such a person in the form of awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx who had fulfilled a similar (unpaid?) role for Mandrake & Mandriva.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/