Re: [opensuse-factory] Timeline and roadmap V2
On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 01:12:17PM +0100, Michal Hrusecky wrote:
Hi all,

As you know we had a week-long meeting in Nuremberg. Quite a few of the things
we've been working on (openQA, OBS workflow etc) were shared by now. Besides
discussing features, we scheduled our work.

In the previous thread on $SUBJECT, Simon noted that going for a release in
November seemed a far smarter compromise between the benefits of releasing and
getting some improvements in our tool chain than skipping a release. Most of
the team agreed on this right away and we'd like to go for that.

However. This does not mean the initial idea of doing a more 'relaxed' release
is off the table. Planning software development is hard, planning
experimentation (like the staging projects we are toying with) is impossible
so
we can not predict when we will be done. This means that we still intend to
take those of you who stepped forward to help out with the release up on their
offer. The exact nature of what we release is still to be determined and we'd
like to make a more final decision on how much effort we can and will put in
in
August. So far it is sure that we would need some volunteer to keep eye on
Factory and release milestones at least till then.

So, for now, this will be a 'community release'. This might mean less QA but
also no security updates provided by SUSE! Especially if it comes to the
latter
case we should communicate this carefully to our users as it will be more like
a slightly more stabilized milestone than a successor to openSUSE 13.1. How to
call it, how to communicate and what exactly it will look like - August.

When exactly we will be fully back to working on Factory, releasing
milestones,
and working on the release we will hopefully be able to determine in August as
well.

Thoughts?
The openSUSE Team

Dear openSUSE Team,

I really appreciate your hard work on this great distro. However please
learn how to talk with us! The overall tone and a level of confussiness
in your recent communication is not very funny at all.

So feel free to propose your ideas and your arguments to us. But don't
tell us that this will be done because we have discussed that in
whatever meeting room.

Your concerned community