[opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-project] Timeline and roadmap V2
  • From: Agustin Benito Bethencourt <abebe@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 14:58:17 +0100
Hi,

sorry for the cross posting...

So, for now, this will be a 'community release'. This might mean less QA
but also no security updates provided by SUSE! Especially if it comes to
the latter case we should communicate this carefully to our users as it
will be more like a slightly more stabilized milestone than a successor
to openSUSE 13.1. How to call it, how to communicate and what exactly it
will look like - August.
A very strong - 1 from me - Why would the SUSE Maintenance Team not be
able to support a single openSUSE release in 2014?
They're not going to be involved in the work the openSUSE Team@SUSE
are proposing, and up until this decision for a November 2014 release
is final, they should be planning and prepared for a standard 8 month
cycle release in May..

Since no one knows for sure how Factory is going to look like there are
several possible solutions to what we (project) call "Release".

If in November we (project) have something like a successor of 13.1, there
must be maintenance updates. It doesn't matter who works on it. Users need the
updates.

If we (project) end up publishing just an "enhanced snapshot of Factory"
(meaning that we succeeded in keeping Factory usable), it might mean that no
extra update repo will be needed since Factory will receive the updates
anyways.

In August (the latest) those working on the Community Release and Factory
should have a clear idea of how the "Release" will look like.

Saludos
--
Agustin Benito Bethencourt
openSUSE Team Lead at SUSE