[opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-project] Timeline and roadmap V2
* Michal Hrusecky <mhrusecky@xxxxxxx> [2014-01-30 13:12]:
However. This does not mean the initial idea of doing a more 'relaxed' release
is off the table. Planning software development is hard, planning
experimentation (like the staging projects we are toying with) is impossible
so
we can not predict when we will be done. This means that we still intend to

That's all fine, but why again do we need a "half-release" before
we are able and ready to make fully supported releases again?

take those of you who stepped forward to help out with the release up on their
offer. The exact nature of what we release is still to be determined and we'd
like to make a more final decision on how much effort we can and will put in
in
August. So far it is sure that we would need some volunteer to keep eye on
Factory and release milestones at least till then.

So, for now, this will be a 'community release'. This might mean less QA but
also no security updates provided by SUSE! Especially if it comes to the
latter
case we should communicate this carefully to our users as it will be more like
a slightly more stabilized milestone than a successor to openSUSE 13.1. How to
call it, how to communicate and what exactly it will look like - August.

When exactly we will be fully back to working on Factory, releasing
milestones,
and working on the release we will hopefully be able to determine in August as
well.

Thoughts?

I think putting out such a release with lower quality and no
support has little value and will backfire no matter how you
communicate it. If it takes some time to reorganize
infrastructure and we have a much longer cycle then so be it. We
can communicate that rather than putting out something which
isn't up to our usual standards, cannot replace 13.1 (without
security updates/support) and is likely to be perceived
negatively. Besides, there still is Tumbleweed for those who want
newer packages.
--
Guido Berhoerster