[opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-project] Timeline and roadmap V2
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 13:51:33 +0100
On 30 January 2014 13:12, Michal Hrusecky <mhrusecky@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

As you know we had a week-long meeting in Nuremberg. Quite a few of the things
we've been working on (openQA, OBS workflow etc) were shared by now. Besides
discussing features, we scheduled our work.

In the previous thread on $SUBJECT, Simon noted that going for a release in
November seemed a far smarter compromise between the benefits of releasing and
getting some improvements in our tool chain than skipping a release. Most of
the team agreed on this right away and we'd like to go for that.

+1 - I like this idea. I think our releases around November often feel
'smoother' than our others that often have big vacation and other busy
periods mixed in with them. Personally I'd like to see us go for a 12
month release cycle and this seems like a good opportunity to suggest
it.

However. This does not mean the initial idea of doing a more 'relaxed' release
is off the table. Planning software development is hard, planning
experimentation (like the staging projects we are toying with) is impossible
so
we can not predict when we will be done. This means that we still intend to
take those of you who stepped forward to help out with the release up on their
offer. The exact nature of what we release is still to be determined and we'd
like to make a more final decision on how much effort we can and will put in
in
August. So far it is sure that we would need some volunteer to keep eye on
Factory and release milestones at least till then.

I like and fully support the idea on the idea of involving more
'non-openSUSE Team@SUSE members' (I'm purposefully avoiding the use of
the word 'community' as you're community members too).
I think having our next release in November is a great opportunity for
everyone to have their cake and eat it - the openSUSE Team@SUSE get
the time they need/want to work on things like openQA and OBS, and
everyone else gets an opportunity to step up and still produce regular
releases for our distribution.

So, for now, this will be a 'community release'. This might mean less QA but
also no security updates provided by SUSE! Especially if it comes to the
latter
case we should communicate this carefully to our users as it will be more like
a slightly more stabilized milestone than a successor to openSUSE 13.1. How to
call it, how to communicate and what exactly it will look like - August.

A very strong - 1 from me - Why would the SUSE Maintenance Team not be
able to support a single openSUSE release in 2014?
They're not going to be involved in the work the openSUSE Team@SUSE
are proposing, and up until this decision for a November 2014 release
is final, they should be planning and prepared for a standard 8 month
cycle release in May..
I don't like the message this suggestion gives off, that a release led
by someone other than the openSUSE Team@SUSE would somehow be a
'second-class' release
Just because your team want to focus on something different for the
next months I don't think that should be allowed to have a
disproportionate impact on our project. On the contrary, I think this
situation should be used to further empower our contributors who
aren't paid by SUSE to work on the distribution to have a bigger part
in the release process.

When exactly we will be fully back to working on Factory, releasing
milestones,
and working on the release we will hopefully be able to determine in August as
well.

While I understand the need for your team to defer any final decision
on their availability until August, I think the reality of mentoring
and 'spinning up' an increased involvement of non-openSUSE Team@SUSE
members in the release process means we need to assume that your teams
involvement in a November 2014 would be 'reduced' and therefore steps
should be made to start preparing our new volunteers in the release
process now.
If we leave too many decisions to August, the likelihood of being able
to teach people what they need to know and get a good release out in
Nov 2014 is going to be reduced.

Thoughts?
The openSUSE Team