Re: [opensuse-factory] rc* symlinks and systemd
On 01/29/2014 07:48 AM, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Hi,

openSUSE has a packing policy of requiring rc* symlinks for each
init script. So for e.g. /etc/init.d/foo there must be a symlink
/usb/sbin/rcfoo -> /etc/init.d/foo. There is an rpmlint check for this
policy (suse-missing-rclink).

Now that more and more packages correctly switch to systemd only and
drop the init scripts the rpmlint check doesn't work anymore. So we
are slowly losing a nice convenience feature of openSUSE.

Techically the feature works also for systemd units by making the
rc symlinks point to /usr/sbin/service. When in involked as e.g.
"rcfoo start" this script would then run "systemctl start
foo.service".

Personally I'd like to see us keeping the rc* feature also in the
future so I'd like to propose introducing an rpmlint check to
complain about missing rc* symlinks also for systemd unit files.

Any objections on that? Otherwise I'd extend the suse-missing-rclink
rpmlint check to .service files at some point.

I don't care much for this "feature" but will certainly introduce the symlinks for my packages where appropriate if that's the direction we're going.

While you are at it, maybe you want to create a macro that people can just use

%{createRCLinks} foo bar twix

And the symlinks are magically created for the packager.

Later,
Robert

Tech Lead
Public Cloud Architect