[opensuse-factory] rc* symlinks and systemd
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 13:48:05 +0100
Hi,

openSUSE has a packing policy of requiring rc* symlinks for each
init script. So for e.g. /etc/init.d/foo there must be a symlink
/usb/sbin/rcfoo -> /etc/init.d/foo. There is an rpmlint check for this
policy (suse-missing-rclink).

Now that more and more packages correctly switch to systemd only and
drop the init scripts the rpmlint check doesn't work anymore. So we
are slowly losing a nice convenience feature of openSUSE.

Techically the feature works also for systemd units by making the
rc symlinks point to /usr/sbin/service. When in involked as e.g.
"rcfoo start" this script would then run "systemctl start
foo.service".

Personally I'd like to see us keeping the rc* feature also in the
future so I'd like to propose introducing an rpmlint check to
complain about missing rc* symlinks also for systemd unit files.

Any objections on that? Otherwise I'd extend the suse-missing-rclink
rpmlint check to .service files at some point.

cu
Ludwig

--
(o_ Ludwig Nussel