Re: [opensuse-factory] RFC: move ifconfig and friends out of default installation
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 08:37:47 +0100
Michal Kubecek wrote:
I've got one daring proposition. As you probably know, the ifconfig
utility is obsolete since kernel 2.2 (released 15 years ago) so that it
doesn't show you all requested information, sometimes it shows you
things that don't exist and sometimes it does something else than you
asked.

It's always nice to back up such claims with examples, like Jan for did
here: http://inai.de/2008/02/19

Note that meanwhile it looks like there is development on net-tools
again. There is even a git repo:
http://sourceforge.net/p/net-tools/code/ci/master/tree/

Did anyone check whether they already fixed some of the concerns or
plan to? Also I see a chance here to get the patches we have in the
package merged upstream.

cu
Ludwig

--