Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Re: RFC: move ifconfig and friends out of default installation
On Tuesday 2014-01-28 00:32, Hans Witvliet wrote:

On Mon, 2014-01-27 at 07:59 -0500, James Knott wrote:
Don't forget, if you're running IPv6, you have to use ip -6 for some
commands.

Never mind an option to distinguish between ip-legacy and ipv6.

I am still hoping that the "gods upstream" do something about
ping/ping6 and iptables/ip6tables

Might happen, but don't count on it too soon. The iputils package
(in which ping6 is in) has the same old smell as net-tools:

/usr/bin/ipg - anybody ever used this reasonably?
/usr/bin/ping
/usr/bin/ping6
/usr/sbin/arping - IMO superseded by T.H.'s arping2 which has more functionality
/usr/sbin/clockdiff
/usr/sbin/ifenslave - replaced by bonding's sysfs interface
/usr/sbin/in.rdisc - Solaris compatibility thing
/usr/sbin/tracepath - we have traceroute, mtr, ...
/usr/sbin/tracepath6

Speaking of traceroute, not too golden either: also has
traceroute and traceroute6. So, that leaves: mtr.