Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: RFC: move ifconfig and friends out of default installation
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 13:05:01 +0100
Yamaban wrote:

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 11:42, Stephan Kulow <coolo@...> wrote:

On 27.01.2014 11:39, Bruno Friedmann wrote:
Would be great. Also if someone take the time to offer a kind of
cheat sheet obsolete command -> new way (at least for those who
don't know)

And make noise about it.

Actually I would go one step further and install scripts instead of
the old commands explaining the new usage - not calling the new
commands, but explaining them. And I wouldn't be surprised if other
distributions already have them ;)

Greetings, Stephan

E.g. make use of 'command-not-found' / 'cnf' in bash to give a useful
output.

Apropos scripts, 'ifconfig' without parameters was a nice and fast way
to see all the interfaces and their config in a reliable and human
readable way. It will be the command I'll miss the most.

For most purposes, "ip addr" does the same, I'm only missing the packet
and error counters.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (4.6°C)