Re: [opensuse-factory] RFC: move ifconfig and friends out of default installation
On Monday 27 January 2014 10.40:50 Michal Kubecek wrote:
Hello,

I've got one daring proposition. As you probably know, the ifconfig
utility is obsolete since kernel 2.2 (released 15 years ago) so that it
doesn't show you all requested information, sometimes it shows you
things that don't exist and sometimes it does something else than you
asked. There are more obsolete utilities (like route or arp) and even
one that doesn't work at all for a very long time (rarp).

As we have already kicked out of the distribution tools that were
much less obsolete and much more useful, I propose to move the obsolete
network config utilities out of the default installation, i.e.

- move ifconfig, route, arp, nameif, ipmaddr, iptunnel into a separate
package, e.g. net-tools-obsolete, which wouldn't be part of a default
installation
- drop rarp

I'm not including netstat in the list as I'm afraid only few people even
know that ss exists.

Michal Kubeček

Would be great. Also if someone take the time to offer a kind of cheat sheet
obsolete command -> new way (at least for those who don't know)

And make noise about it.

--

Bruno Friedmann
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch