Re: [opensuse-factory] RFC: move ifconfig and friends out of default installation
On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 10:40:50 +0100
Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

I've got one daring proposition. As you probably know, the ifconfig
utility is obsolete since kernel 2.2 (released 15 years ago) so that
it doesn't show you all requested information, sometimes it shows you
things that don't exist and sometimes it does something else than you
asked. There are more obsolete utilities (like route or arp) and even
one that doesn't work at all for a very long time (rarp).

As we have already kicked out of the distribution tools that were
much less obsolete and much more useful, I propose to move the
obsolete network config utilities out of the default installation,
i.e.

- move ifconfig, route, arp, nameif, ipmaddr, iptunnel into a separate
package, e.g. net-tools-obsolete, which wouldn't be part of a
default installation
- drop rarp

I'm not including netstat in the list as I'm afraid only few people
even know that ss exists.

Michal
Kubeček

Hi,
good idea, just expect that it can take some time to modify
installation to use new tools (some FATE and dedicate time of
developers will help). Of course you can create pull requests on github
for changes.

Josef