Re: [opensuse-factory] O Factory - Where art Thou?
On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 18:32:56 +0000
Susanne Oberhauser-Hirschoff <froh@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx> writes:

The build server is what it says: a *build* server.

We use it as an integration server, quite successfully, and it comes
close, but it is not explicitely targeted at integration.

So it is missing a few features to better support integration:

* Tools like git support 'merge' tracking of changes in branches
back to mainline and from progress in mainline back to the branch.
This then also allows to bisect regressions to the integration issue.

+1, I really miss some features from git and easy merging is one of it.

* Integration means testing, and testing may be a gate/decision
point whether further builds make sense at all (think rings). This
tracking of test status is not in the tool. And tests should gate
further work based on test status. And tests, automatic or
manual, have a smart and a stupid order doing them.

What would be really nice here, is to have hooks in BS like github. If
new pull request is created, then there is hook that can told it to CI
like https://travis-ci.org/ or code quality metter like
https://codeclimate.com/ which in response set status for such request
so you immediatelly see if request passes tests or if quality of code
goes up or down ( I think it will be really useful for e.g. rpmlint
warnings, now I don't see if submit request increase or decrease number
of warnings ). Now it is partially done in BS itself with their own
check if rpm build. And if it is generic, then we can easily add
different services in future like attach to project security scanner
and check if in new version is new security warning. I prefer component
system before monolitic application.

S.

Josef