Re: [opensuse-factory] O Factory - Where art Thou?
Susanne Oberhauser-Hirschoff - 21:06 28.11.13 wrote:
Michal Hrusecky <mhrusecky@xxxxxxx> writes:

Susanne Oberhauser-Hirschoff - 18:32 28.11.13 wrote:

* Integration means testing, and testing may be a gate/decision point
whether further builds make sense at all (think rings). This
tracking of test status is not in the tool. And tests should gate
further work based on test status. And tests, automatic or manual,
have a smart and a stupid order doing them.

So you would like to see better integration between openQA and OBS?

openQA imnsho is just another flavour of build (as in rpm, kiwi, deb,
openQA)

Not now, but probably could be integrated that way.

I'm talking about

1. support _manual_ steps in the flow: hardware tests in the
community are manual, not automatic. bluez audio comes to mind.

Hmmm, looking at the chart, we really have pretty much automatic everywhere.
Maybe we should weaken it so it wouldn't look like manual testing is not
possible. But manual testing is slow and if we want to get packages through
fast enough and with limited resources, everything should be as automatized as
much as possible. And most of the manual testing happens once it gets at least
to Factory integration part.

2. clearly distinguish test from build: a failing test may still mean
an ok package, just only 'gold', not 'platinum'

Currently it is. It's independent service. That's also why there is a QA team
in workflow (teams can overlap in real world). To interpret/fix results.

However how will this help dependent multi-target projects (like gnome,
or kde or databases or d:lang:*) to likewise be stable at all^wmost
times?

It looks to me like the flow that is proposed here continues to break
projects that build for both factory and other released distributions.

Few comments:

* It will not break stable versions
* Changes done in devel project should be send to Factory anyway
** If changes are in Factory, base is not going to change to break
everything
without fix provided

Sooo, the solution is simple, if you want your stuff not getting
broken as nobody know what you have, submit your changes to Factory
and don't keep them to yourself :-) Devel projects are packages on the
way to Factory anyway ;-)

Like an upstream project at random times would push their stuff into my
working branch and break it "because I'll merge it upstream later
anyhow" ;-)

All changes to Factory would still have to go through devel project. So nobody
can break your stuff. There might be updates of some (build) required packages,
but in that case, it shouldn't brake your previous version and when is the
better time to know about new incompatibility than when you are updating
package already anyway.

--
Michal HRUSECKY SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.
openSUSE Team Lihovarska 1060/12