Re: [opensuse-factory] O Factory - Where art Thou?
On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 16:46:35 +0100
Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Am Donnerstag, 28. November 2013, 16:31:38 schrieb Josef Reidinger:
On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 16:22:41 +0100
Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Am Donnerstag, 28. November 2013, 16:16:32 schrieb Stephan Kulow:
On 28.11.2013 16:01, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:

One of the options on the table was "lets force staging
projects on everything" but sadly that is too much on the OBS
and we would just be boiling it with all the rebuilds. In the
end we go with above way which is technically possible and we
can learn and improve it on the way wrt detecting culprits.

Basically Review team will have update SR reviewing tools with
possibility to group, review, and mark for qa/staging on any
submission with some possibility to edit the
severity/f**kupablity of the package so they can do the right
decision.

But even tho I am now interested for sure to talk about it,
lets wait till we

As I said: we have to talk to the OBS team about possible
solutions for the "too much on the OBS" problem. Perhaps our
assumption is wrong and we can do indeed what Josef suggests:
create a staging project for every submission. Then the whole
discussion on who reviews and decides what will be wasted time.

we can try at least. At least as long we do not publish it and our
priority handling ensures that they do not block all other people
from using OBS.

I think that only tricky part of my suggestion is COW, because now
if I create new repo with copy of another one everything is
rebuilded, but I want just copy what is there and modify only one
package, that can possible trigger another build, but not whole 6k
packages rebuild if not needed.

we have the trigger="localdep" setting. Means OBS will only rebuild
packages which depend on that one.

However, on the long run, this only tells if something compiles.
It does not say if it works actually. So, with splitting it up,
we do also need a way better automated QA since no one will be
able to test all the staging projects anymore.

That is reason why I have in my proposal using openQA. Of course we can
have more sets of tests and run only subset if any package affecting it
changed. I hope that in future we can more focus on automatic testing
of results, then on manual review of source code changes.
<corporate>Because results matter</corporate> :)

I think that even simply try that start software and verify basic
behavior can prevent us a bunch of packaging and integration problems.
Of course it cannot detect advanced problems, but I think it is not
goal of factory.

Josef