[opensuse-factory] Re: 13.1 GM
I downloaded/seeded SuSE from two different places:
1 - 35Mbps/3Mbps broadband at home office (Brazil)
2 - Full fast ethernet (100/100) hosting in USA

In both cases I was able to download at full speed.
The beauty of torrent is it completely eliminates any mirror choice
considerations from users, it downloads from everywhere. ISPs are free to
offer private torrent mirrors to reduce backbone load. No need to capture
http connections with a transparent proxy for acceleration. Regional mirrors
can be tuned to seed only to the optimal IP list.

Don't know how much those large 10Gbps links cost... With torrent, the
distributed aspect allows you to get away with 1/10th of bandwidth on the
main repository and mirrors, because all downloaders become mirrors as soon
as they finish their downloads, and are partial mirrors even during the
download. But bandwidth is so cheap and getting cheaper every year.

Torrent technology is capable of managing enormous scenarios, the most
popular torrent ever resulted in one million downloads in a single day, with
a peak of 16000 simultaneous users. I could only wish OpenSuSE one day will
be that successful (tens of millions of downloads in the first month,
perhaps 100 million installations).

I don't know if it would ever make any sense in not offering http downloads
anymore... It was more of a technological prowess statement than anything.
Perhaps one day encourage users to use torrent anywhere possible.

Its amazing looking at the torrent peer stats for 13.1, 5 seeders per
leecher (downloader) or more (like 1200 seeders for 250 downloaders, 600
seeders for 100 downloaders).