[opensuse-factory] Re: Re: Let's keep acroread for pure reasons of usability.
On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 03:11, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire@...> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 10:59 PM, Yamaban <foerster@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 02:42, Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@...> wrote:
On Friday, 2013-11-08 at 13:03 +0100, Michal Vyskocil wrote:
On Fri, Nov 08, 2013 at 08:09:03AM +0000, Damian Ivanov wrote:

But there is another free windows pdf reader called foxit which does
all that (signing, printing, all the forms). Just tried it. Download,
install, start, editing pdf. No problem with wine.

I tested it. Signature check fails. Dunno if something is missing or
faulty, or simply does not work in Wine.

Hmmm, poking around there, it seems that FoxIt tries to use the
Mircosoft Windows provided "Signature-Store", which is NOT
available in wine.

Background: MS-Windows provides a OS managed certification
framework, some apps use that, some provide their own.

That's my guess based on the api-calls I've traced.

I guess wine could and should provide the store. That's a bug
report/feature request/patch waiting to happen.

Uh-uh that's a no-no! Big BAD can of worms!
A small soft firm (microsoft) will send their lawers to happily
and readily roast you over coals if you try to touch their
"Signature-Store" technology.

What wine could do would be presenting a api that redirects / rewrites
the calls to openssl / or similar cert-proving software available
in the underlaying system.

So, it's no bug, but a non-implemented feature due to legal
concerns and no direct need so far.

That also the background why proving a ssl-cert in IE under wine
does not work.

- Yamaban.