[opensuse-factory] python3 and boost-python
  • From: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 16:55:24 -0200
So, I've got a package that hasn't moved much lately, except that
we've worked quite a bit to get it to work with both py2 and py3. And,
unsurprisingly, I'd like to make the package in factory use py3 now
that we managed to make it work.

But one problem arises. Currently, we ship a snapshot of boost-python
because building it separately in a famous platform or two is a pain.
And when I use the in-tree boost-python, everything rocks.

But of course the package should use the libboost-python package and
not its own copy, and that one is linked against python2.

Is there a possibility to get a libboost-python3 linking against
python3? Does anyone foresee any issues with this? boost-python can
handle it at least since version 1.53 (probably since earlier too),
but whether the two can reside together is less clear.

I could try to branch and do it myself, but somehow I thought I'd ask
first, since boost is such a big, central and complex package.